Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Why in the world did they do THAT?

Ever wonder why the American dime is so much smaller than the rest of the coins, despite being worth more than a penny and a nickel?

But it gets better.

A quick survey of my pocket change reveals the fact that an English 2 pence coin is simply huge. Larger than the 1p, 5p (which are simply tiny), 10p, 20p (which is smaller than the 10p), and £1 coins, it is nearly the same size as the 50p coin. Why? Wouldn’t it be easier to do it another way?

If course, this also leads to the question of 2p coins in general. Why? I mean really. I would much rather carry two 1p coins than a 2p coin. Well, that’s not totally true. I generally just dump my 1p, 2p, and 5p coins into a jug on my desk.

But, rather than simply ask all these questions and not answer any of them, I’ll answer that last one.

Why do we have 2p coins?

Because when the students in your form ask for a coin to use to play tabletop football, it’s much cheaper for them to lose my 2p coin rather than my 10p coin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home