Saturday, March 05, 2005

Friday

After being released from school in the early hours of the morning due to the terrible amounts of snowfall (the snow was so deep you could still see the top of the grass), I decided to head in to London. I had a ticket to a concert that night anyway so I figured I'd go in early and be touristy.

When I got to the train station, all northern-bound trains were stopped in Stevenage due to broken overhead wires further north as a result of the snow. Before they would sell me a train ticket south, the asked me if my trip was necessary. Let's see...there's terrible, horrible weather forecast...they are stopping northbound trains...who knows what might happen...of course my trip is necessary!

So I went to London.

I wandered around Covent Garden for a while and then walked towards Trafalgar Square. I walked through the London 2012 Olympic Bid Propaganda Building there (I don't think that is it's real name, but it fits) and then on to some other sights. I took the 2:30 Eccentric London walk. We saw Princess Anne whiz by in her car. We saw a crooked building. We saw the house where Benjamin Franklin lived while he was in London. We also had rain, snow, sleet, and blinding sunshine during out two-hour walk.

After the walk, I headed further south for the concert. I was met at the train station by Basil and Janet, the charming couple I met last Sunday. After sandwiches, tea, and cake, we headed to the concert.

The concert was held in a large church near their house. Before the concert, we were told by the director that many of the venues for the choir's upcoming tour of Southeast Asia were already sold-out...including one 3000-seat venue. Also, the choir's newest CD was just released in Southeast Asia and was already at number one on the classical charts there.

It was great to see the performance as part of such a relatively small group, particularly since the group was almost all parents and church members rather than just yelling, screaming fans.

After that, I headed back to Stevenage where all the snow was long gone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home