Saturday, January 08, 2005

Tape

Just to follow up on some emails I have received (or, as I like to think of it...my fan mail), I need to touch on the subject of tape.

In England, the clear tape, what used to be called cellophane tape in America, is called "sellotape". I think this is similar to us, in America, calling that clear tape "scotch tape" - the brand name, once capitalized, has become a common, uncapitalized noun. Like xeroxing things. But maybe that's a verb. Or a gerund. But the point remains.

Anyway, readers of Harry Potter books may remember that Ron (I think) tried to mend his wand with Spellotape. That's one of those little British details that was unfortunately lost on many American readers.

1 Comments:

Blogger graycie said...

Bravo! It's a gerund.

10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home