Saturday, January 22, 2005

Accents - Part 1

It was interesting to walk around school my first week and watch kids’ faces as I spoke.

“You’re American!” was the typical response. (It kind of makes me wonder what they said to the two Canadian teachers.) I alternated between replying, “So, how’d you figure that out?” and, “No, I’m from the south of London.” Actually, I should have said southwest of London and pointed them towards the map. But I digress…

I’ve also enjoyed listening to all of the accents over here. There isn’t just one “British accent.” Instead, there are a variety of accents. Earlier this week, the BBC had a piece about different London accents. It’s fun to listen and try to figure out the different accents.

Of course, it can be difficult, too. After two or three times of saying, “What was that?” you almost want to say, “Could you spell that for me?” But with my luck, it would have extra letters (like “favourite colour”) or a zed (like “zip – zed ee pee”).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home