Monday, July 11, 2005

Saturday

On Saturday, I went to Hitchin for the Rhythms of the World music festival. I walked around for a bit, but I was distracted. I needed to go, I needed to see, I needed to know. I needed to know for myself that London was… Was what? Was still there? I could see from the news that London was still there. Was returning to normal? It will take quite a while for things to return to ‘normal,’ whatever normal might be.

I think, more than anything else, I wanted to show the world, in one tiny, insignificant way, that we will continue. Hate us. Bomb us. Do what you will, but we will continue.

And I wasn’t alone. Although the King’s Cross Tube station was nearly empty, this may have had more to do with the fact that, out of six different Tube lines that serve the station, only one, the Metropolitan Line, was operating through King’s Cross. It was odd standing alone on the platform, knowing that not too far from where I was standing, teams were recovering bodies and investigating one of the bombings. But I wasn’t alone for long. A few more people joined me on the platform. Soon, we joined others on the Tube. Arriving at our destinations, we joined others who, like ourselves, were carrying on with our lives.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home