Saturday, April 16, 2005

May I Have a Word, Please?

Today (April 15) is not just the tax day (in America). It also happens to be the 250th anniversary of the publishing of Samuel Johnson’s Dictionary of the American Language. The Times had an article about it and listed some words and definitions, including this interesting definition for oats: a grain, which in England is generally given to horses, but in Scotland supports the people.

Here are some that I haven’t used too much recently but I rather think I should (let the children beware come Monday):

fopdoodle – fool, insignificant wretch (handy for my year 10s)

pickthank – whispering parasite (useful a couple of year 8s I know)

giglet – wanton, lascivious girl (okay, probably not one I should use often, but still…)

jabbernowl – blockhead (quite handy no matter which kid I’m having a go at)

abbey-lubber – slothful loiterer in a monastery (perhaps the most useful of the bunch)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home