Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Questions

Being the "exotic foreigner," I get asked a lot of questions about America. Often, different people will ask the same questions.

Here are a few I have been asked recently:

"Where in America are you from?"

Upon hearing that I'm from near Washington, DC, the next question often is, "Have you met the President?"

Today, someone asked me if I was from Texas. Must be my accent...

The same student also asked me if there was a Death Row in Texas. I thought it rather an odd question until I realized that England does not have the death penalty.

I'm also often asked if I own a gun. In England, it seems that guns are quite rare. In fact, I think I've only seen one the whole time I've been here (and that counts the police officers) - outside of Number 10 Downing Street (where the Prime Minister lives), one (and just one) of the guards held a gun.

Several students have asked me where I was on September 11, 2001.

A few students asked me about the election and referred specifically to George Bush or to John Kerry.

And then there are some students who are interested in the food. I've been asked (several times) if I eat hamburgers and if we have Skittles or M&Ms or Dr. Pepper in America.

Sometimes it makes me feel exotic. Other times, it makes me realize how out of touch from the rest of the world America can be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home