Saturday, January 01, 2005

Arrived and Moved In

I arrived safely yesterday in Stevenage after successfully navigating the Underground and WAGN train to town. For those of you who were worried about me, I DO have a place to stay. It's a small (um...very small) room in a five-person house-share that is run by these people. Currently, I'm the only person there, but more people are supposed to arrive soon.

My flight was fairly uneventful. The lines at Dulles were long, but moved fairly smoothly. Despite my fears to the contrary, I was not seated in the last row next to the noisy lavatory on the screaming-baby flight. Instead, I had an exit-row (translation: all the leg room I could ever use) seat near a very quiet lavatory. The only problem was the old man next to me who kept taking flash pictures of the TV screen showing our position on a moving map. The head flight attendant had to ask him to stop and even threatened to have him arested in London. Sadly (or happily, depending), the man complied and no arrest was needed.


I arrived at Heathrow and cleared customs without a problem. I found the tube line to King's Cross Station and then the WAGN train to Stevenage. I ended up in Stevenage just before 10:00 in the morning, much earlier than I anticipated. Anna, the hotel manager, picked me up from the train station and got me all settled in my house-share.

Yesterday, I spent some time exploring the Old Town in Stevenage as well as the Town Centre. I bought a few groceries, some nice wooden hangers, and some books (old habits die hard...but I finally found a paperback copy of The DaVinci Code. After that, I unpacked, had a lovely sandwich for dinner, and watched some telly. By 8:00 pm, I was more than ready for a nice rest

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home